The World of Country Life is located directly next to the entrance for Devon Cliffs Holiday Park at Sandy Bay, Exmouth.
We have a wide range of furry & feathered friends to interact with including wallabies, alpacas, rheas, lambs, goats, calves, donkeys, red deer, llama and ferrets, all easily accessible via wide paved paths. We also have wheelchairs available for loan free of charge (on a first come first served basis – call us on 01395 274533 to check availability & book).
For the more mechanically minded, you will find a fantastic collection of massive steam engines, a superb array of immaculate vintage vehicles, vintage tractors and the famed Reg Imray classic motorcycle collection.
For youngsters with energy to burn, there is an adventure playground, slides to whizz down, trampolines to bounce on and a huge undercover area of age-specific soft plays and bouncy castles. Attractions such as our daily bird of prey flying displays & animal races, a giant pirate ship play & seating area and a quality farm-themed food outlet providing fresh local food are why many families come back to enjoy World of Country Life year after year. Staff are on hand throughout the park to assist should you require any help or information.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have queries or require any assistance please phone 01395 274533 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the How to Find Us section on our website. If you’re using satnav, just pop in our postcode – EX8 5BY.
- The nearest train station is Exmouth which is 3 miles away, taxis are available at the station.
- The nearest bus stop is outside our main entrance – ask the driver for the stop at ‘World of Country Life’. All buses are accessible and can accommodate one wheelchair. The number 95 "Big Beach Bus" runs to/from the railway station, along the sea front and up to us every hour throughout the season. Click here for a timetable.
Car Parking and Arrival
- There is ample parking onsite for 100+ cars and 6 clearly marked Blue Badge parking spaces, which are at the entrance.
- The on-site car park surface is tarmac and leads to the main entrance.
- There is a drop-off point at the main entrance.
- The main entrance has double doors which open out to a total of 166 cm (65ins) wide.
Main Entrance and Reception
- The Main Entrance and Reception are situated on ground level with step free, level access throughout.
- The floor surface is vinyl.
- The area is evenly and well lit with overhead lighting from a variety of modern low energy lights.
- A pen and pad is available at the Reception.
- A portable hearing loop is available in Reception.
- We have an accessibility map available from reception that shows the best wheelchair and buggy friendly routes around the park.
- Wheelchair loan is available free of charge and on request (subject to availability and on a first come first served basis – call us on 01395 274533 to check availability & book)
Attraction (displays, exhibits, rides, etc.)
- There are interactive activities throughout the museum; all can be accessed from a sitting or standing position.
- Interpretation boards are all in large text, and have a large pictorial representation where applicable. All are a maximum top height of 170cm.
- There are articles held in glass cabinets (most are upright). Some of these are vertical and may not be visible if the eye line is below 115cm.
- In the Exhibition Hall we have two videos playing continuously showing the History of Farming and the History of the AA.
- Some galleries have background sounds and music playing representing the period in history.
- Individual wooden seats are located at various points around the park.
- The floor surface is paving and level.
- Lighting in the galleries is generally bright and evenly lit with overhead strip lighting; however, some areas are more dimly lit to aid preservation of the exhibits.
- Public toilets are located on the ground floor with level access from the main entrance.
- These toilets have a unisex accessible toilet and is described below:
- A light, easy open door 950m wide.
- 900mm/35.5ins transfer space to the right of the ground floor toilet, when facing the toilet.
- The toilet height is 480mm.
- There is a vertical rail on the left hand side of the toilet.
- There is a horizontal rail on the side wall adjacent to the toilet.
- The toilets are well lit.
- The flooring is non-slip vinyl.
- There are lever taps on some of the sinks.
- The restaurant and takeaway have step free level access from the entrance and are level throughout.
- The entrance doors to the restaurant and takeaway are minimum 150cm wide.
- Tables in the restaurant and takeaway are well spaced apart, with a clear height from the floor of 706mm/30ins, with a mixture of upright chairs without arms.
- Lighting in all areas is natural daylight and modern energy saving bulbs.
- The flooring in the restaurant and takeaway is non-slip vinyl.
- Where possible all our food produce is locally sourced. We do our best to cater for any dietary requirements; please contact us in advance to check any specific requests you may have.
- In the restaurant, orders are placed at the till and served to your table. Takeaway orders are via a served hatch outside. Should you require, staff can assist you on request.
- Specials of the day are shown on a blackboard. All staff can assist by running through menus with you.
- Crockery is colour contrasted with the table where possible.
- The nearest public toilet with an accessible WC is located near the falconry centre approximately 50 metres from the restaurant.
- There is a shop with a range of souvenirs, gifts, toys, etc. which can be accessed directly from the main entrance and when exiting the Exhibition Hall.
- The shop is level throughout.
- There is ample room within the shop for a large wheelchair to manoeuvre and turn.
- There are tall display racks and low tables accessible from a seated position.
- Staff can offer assistance if required.
Grounds and Gardens
- The pathways are all a metalled surface of either concrete or tarmac, with gradual inclines and smaller walkways covered with loose gravel.
- There are several picnic areas on level surfaces that can be reached through the park.
- Main pathways are minimum 140cm/55ins wide.
- Between pathways there are grass areas, which can be uneven underfoot.
- All of our staff receive regular training that includes disability awareness & first aid training.
- We have a set of evacuation procedures – should you require it, someone will assist you with evacuation either out of the building or to a refuge.
- We operate a "carers go free" entry policy.