The World of Country Life is located directly next to the entrance for Devon Cliffs Holiday Park at Sandy Bay, Exmouth.
There is a wide range of furry & feathered friends to interact with, ranging from wallabies to Shetland ponies, ostriches to chirping finches, all easily accessible via wide paved paths. We also have a wheelchair available for loan free of charge (on a first come first served basis).
For the more mechanically minded, you will find a fantastic collection of massive steam engines, a superb array of immaculate vintage vehicles, vintage tractors and the famed Reg Imray classic motorcycle collection.
For youngsters with energy to burn, there is an adventure playground, slides to whizz down, trampolines to bounce on and a huge undercover soft play area and bouncy castle. Attractions such as our daily Falconry displays, a giant pirate ship, 2 quality food outlets providing fresh local food are why many families come back to enjoy World of Country Life year after year. Staff are on hand throughout the park to assist should you require any help or information.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have queries or require any assistance please phone 01395 274533 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the "How to find us" section on our website www.worldofcountrylife.co.uk. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using www.transportdirect.info: simply enter your postcode and ours, which is EX8 5BU to get directions.
- The nearest railway/bus station is Exmouth which is 3 miles away, taxis are available at the station.
- The nearest bus stop is outside our main entrance - ask the driver for the stop at 'World of Country Life'. All buses are accessible and can accommodate one wheelchair. The number 95 bus runs to/from the railway/bus station every 10 mins daily.
Car Parking and Arrival
- There is ample parking onsite for 100+ cars and 5 clearly marked Blue Badge parking spaces, which are at the entrance.
- The on-site car park surface is tarmac and leads to the main entrance.
- There is a drop-off point at the main entrance.
- The main entrance door is double doors and open out to a total of 65.4ins wide.
Main Entrance and Reception
- The Main Entrance and Reception are situated on ground level with step free, level access throughout.
- The floor surface is vinyl.
- The area is evenly and well lit with overhead lighting from a variety of modern low energy lights.
- A pen and pad is available at the Reception.
- Wheelchair loan is available, free of charge and on request. (subject to availability and on a first come first served basis)?
Attraction (displays, exhibits, rides etc)
- There are interactive activities throughout the museum; all can be accessed from a sitting or standing position.
- Interpretation boards are all in large text, and have a large pictorial representation where applicable. All are a maximum top height of 170cm.
- There are articles held in glass cabinets (most are upright). Some of these are vertical and may not be visible if the eye line is below 115cm.
- In the Exhibition Hall we have two videos playing continuously showing the history of farming and the AA.
- Some galleries have background sounds and music playing representing the period in history.
- Individual wooden seats are located at various points around the park.
- The floor surface is paving and level.
- Lighting in the galleries is generally bright and evenly lit with overhead strip lighting; however, some areas are more dimly lit to aid preservation of the exhibits.
- Public toilets are located on the ground floor with level access from the main entrance.
- These toilets have a unisex accessible toilet and is described below:
- A light, easy open door 950m wide.
- 900mm/35.5ins transfer space to the right of the ground floor toilet, when facing the toilet.
- The toilet height is 480mm.
- There is a vertical rail on the left hand side of the toilet.
- There is a horizontal rail on the side wall adjacent to the toilet.
- The toilets are well lit.
- The flooring is non-slip vinyl.
- There are lever taps on some of the sinks.
- The restaurant and takeaway have step free level access from the entrance and are level throughout.
- The entrance doors to the restaurant and takeaway are minimum 150cm wide.
- Tables in the restaurant and cafes are well spaced apart, with a clear height from the floor of 706mm/30ins, with a mixture of upright chairs without arms.
- Lighting in all areas is natural daylight.
- The flooring in the restaurant and cafes is a mixture of vinyl & carpet tiles.
- Where possible all our food produce is locally sourced. We do our best to cater for any dietary requirements; please contact us in advance to check any specific requests you may have.
- The restaurant & takeaway are self-service, however staff can assist you on request.
- Specials of the day are shown on a blackboard. All staff can assist by running through menus with you.
- Crockery is colour contrasted with the table where possible.
- The nearest public toilet with an accessible WC is located near the falconry central approximately 50 metres from the restaurant.
- There is a shop with a range of souvenirs and books etc, which can be accessed directly from the main entrance and when exiting the Exhibition Hall.
- There are a set of glass doors to the shop, both are 830mm/32.7ins wide and manual, they are usually kept open.
- The shop is level throughout.
- There is ample room within the shop for a large wheelchair to manoeuvre and turn.
- There are tall display racks and low tables accessible from a seated position.
- Staff can offer assistance if required.
Grounds and Gardens
- The grounds are all a metalled surface of either concrete or tarmac, with gradual inclines and smaller walkways covered with loose gravel.
- There are several picnic areas on level surfaces that can be reached through the park.
- Main pathways are minimum 140cm/55ins wide.
- Between pathways there are grass areas, which can be uneven underfoot.
- All of our staff receive regular training that includes disability awareness training.
- We have a set of evacuation procedures - should you require it, someone will assist you with evacuation either out of the building or to a refuge.
- Our website features a virtual tour of the Park.
- We offer a complimentary Carer Ticket policy.
- We are planning to introduce trial interpretation panels in the new Farmyard.
World of Country Life
Sandy Bay, Westdown Lane
Exmouth, EX8 5BU
Hours of Operation: 10am-5pm every day
(February 2013 - November 2013)
Local Equipment Hire:
B Mobile Tel: 01395 260075
Local Accessible Taxi:
Apollo Taxis Tel: 01395 224500
Local Public Transport:
Bus 01395 272395
Trainline 0871 244 1545
Download a pdf map here